30 May 2012

The Fault in Our Stars (John Green)

I hadn't read any John Green before FioS, but had always heard amazing things about his writing. This book lived up to his reputation, and it absolutely wrecked me. It's about a teen girl battling cancer and her relationship with a fellow cancer survivor. It's incredibly poignant and beautiful and damn if it didn't make me appreciate all the small (and large) blessings I have in my life.

It was a very triggering story for me, as my dad is battling cancer right now. I sobbed the entire way to book club. I sobbed after book club. I was wreck the entire day I finished this book. But I wouldn't trade that catharsis for anything. It's almost too personal to write about here, but Green expresses some truths about life and death that  really resonated for me.

I'm looking forward to reading his other work, and I can't recommend The Fault in Our Stars enough. Even if you think you don't like YA, trust me: you will like this book.

In other news, I haven't gotten much reading done, but I'm hoping to get into Insurgent this weekend. Also, I impulse-purchased The Secret Circle trilogy for my Kindle. My special man friend and I were watching the show, and I couldn't remember much from reading the series, oh, 20 years ago. But I remember loving it, so I bought the books to re-read. So cheesy, so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment