30 May 2012

Never Tell (Alafair Burke)

Never Tell is a crime novel I picked up at our sales meeting, and I could not put it down. It's part of the author's Ellie Hatcher series, and I look forward to reading her others. It was like reading a Law & Order episode, and that is high praise coming from me. I've never read a straight-up crime novel before; I tend to prefer cozy mysteries. But this novel (about a young socialite who apparently committed suicide, but whose parents demand was murdered) was full of twists and turns and kept me reading way past my bedtime. My fear with reading crime has always been gore or graphic violence, but Burke does a really nice job of showing just enough without crossing into gruesomeness, which I personally dislike.

So yeah, I'm excited this was my introduction to crime novels and I look forward to reading more.

1 comment:

  1. I've read quite a few of her Ellie Hatcher novels, great quick reads for the plane or the beach. Haven't read this one yet, perhaps I'll add it to the kindle for the plane flight home from Europe...
    -Kristin C.

    ReplyDelete