19 April 2012

A Correction and The Selection

A correction to my last post: George R. R. Martin’s epic series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, and the first book is Game of Thrones. A Song of Ice and Fire sounds more like a Johnny Weir skate show, but I digress.

I read The Selection by Kiera Cass, yet another entry into the YA dystopia trilogy market. A young girl is picked by lottery to compete for the prince’s heart, and the competition is filmed and played for the nation. It’s definitely more for romance readers; there are only a few hints as to what makes the society dystopic, and they weren’t explored enough to hold my interest. I recommend Selection for teens who love romance mixed with reality TV. I prefer my dystopias grittier with much higher stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment